What is Periodontal Treatment?
Periodontal treatment refers to specialised treatments and procedures provided to address complex or severe gum and periodontal (supporting structures of the teeth) issues.
We understand that you may have concerns about your periodontal health and the prospect of surgical treatment and so this article is designed to help you understand the process, benefits, and potential outcomes of surgical periodontal treatment, including regeneration with biomaterials, for vertical bone loss.
What is Vertical Periodontal Bone Loss?
Vertical periodontal bone loss refers to the loss of bone height around a tooth. This condition can result from severe gum disease and may lead to tooth mobility, sensitivity, and an uneven gumline.
Why Surgical Periodontal Treatment?
Surgical periodontal treatment is recommended for patients with vertical bone loss because it offers several benefits:
- Halt Disease Progression: The procedure can stop the progression of periodontal disease, preventing further damage to your gums and bone.
- Restoration of Gum Health: It helps restore your gum health by sealing off deep pockets, creating a healthier gum environment.
- Enhanced Aesthetics: Surgical treatment can create a more natural and even gumline, improving the aesthetics of your smile.
- Reduced Tooth Sensitivity: Exposed tooth roots can be sensitive. The procedure helps reduce this sensitivity.
- Protection from Decay: It safeguards your tooth roots from decay and other dental issues.
- Improved Oral Function: Surgical treatment can enhance your ability to chew and speak comfortably.
- Prevention of Tooth Mobility: It can stabilise your teeth, preventing mobility and potential tooth loss.
About Regeneration with Biomaterials
In cases of severe bone loss, regeneration with biomaterials may be recommended. Biomaterials, such as bone grafts or guided tissue regeneration membranes, are used to stimulate the growth of new bone.
What to Expect
- Consultation: Your dental professional will evaluate your condition, discuss your options, and address any concerns or questions you may have.
- Procedure: The surgical treatment involves cleaning the affected area, removing damaged tissue, and, if necessary, applying biomaterials to stimulate bone regeneration. This is typically performed under local anesthesia.
- Recovery: You will be given aftercare instructions to ensure a smooth recovery. It’s essential to follow these guidelines for the best results.
- Follow-up: Regular follow-up appointments are crucial to monitor your progress and make any necessary adjustments.
Your Role in Successful Treatment
Your active participation in your treatment is essential. Here’s what you can do:
- Maintain good oral hygiene.
- Attend all follow-up appointments.
- Avoid smoking and alcohol during the healing period.
Surgical periodontal treatment with or without regeneration is a well-established approach to address vertical bone loss and improve your periodontal health. It’s a proactive step towards preserving your smile and maintaining your overall well-being.Back to blog
If you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to reach out to your dental professional. We are here to support you on your journey to a healthier, happier smile.